The great thing about getting fit together with your spouse is that you both work together, finding ways to take your favorite foods and modify them to properly fuel the body. What’s next, P90x approved schnitzel? Next time, for now enjoy our winter favorite.
· 2 lb. ground turkey
· 2 tbsp extra version olive oil
· 1 onion, coarsely chopped
· 2 medium cloves garlic, chopped
· ½ tbsp ground hot red chili (I use the Chilpolte chili)
· 2 ½ tbsp mild red Chili (I use a Chili power)
· 1 ½ tbsp ground cumin
· 1 ½ tsp salt
· 1 ½ cups water
· 1 (15ounce) can tomato sauce (I use Italian pasta sauce)
· 1 (28ounce) can stewed/diced tomatoes (I use flavored diced/stewed tomatoes)
· 1 can of black beans
In large pot sauté onions and garlic in EVO then add turkey. Break up any lumps with a fork and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the meat is browned.
Stir in the both chilies, cumin and salt until thoroughly blended. Add water, tomato sauce, diced/stewed tomatoes and beans mashing with a fork.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 45 min. stirring the chili occasionally. (when using beef 90 min.)
Taste and adjust seasonings.
Protein: 22 g
Fiber: 10 g
Carbs: 29 g
Fat Total: 9 g
(not 100% accurate)